Monday, February 16, 2015

Fitting is not for the faint hearted

I have been working on fitting for the last two months. I am not doing anything fancy ... just trying to get my shape figured out.

I have been fitting a simple t-shirt, but ya see I am not all of one size. I am also what is termed "plus sized". Along the way I have learned a lot about me, as in, how I am shaped. Sounds kinda silly to say it, but I have spent years not really knowing anything about me. I just took what RTW retailers said and even though I think I am reasonably intelligent, it took the fitting process to really bring home to me why RTW doesn't ever fit.

I started out with trying to refine the fit in my shoulders and chest area. I have always known that I do not fit in Plus sizes in my shoulders. Now I really know. I have narrow shoulders. There, I have said it. I would never have thought I had narrow shoulders. After all, I am a plus sized middle-aged female. :)

My journey of discovery started out this way. I started with an XL and ended up with gobs of extra fabric in the shoulder/armhole area. Next I tried a large, still gobs of fabric. So I tried a medium. Better, but still hangs off shoulder a bit. So, I tried a small. I mean really ... a small? Well, the shoulders finally fit! I had done an FBA, round back adjustment, etc. for my rather round body, so it was not a problem to get it fit around me. It does still need work.

Now I need to figure how armholes, because, of course, even with adjustment, the armholes don't fit right. So, shoulders and across chest a small. Armholes are XL. Bodies are weird!

Fitting is so invigorating. Keeps the mind young. :). Even if it does make you want to bash your head against a wall.

Patti

 

 

2 comments:

Robin said...

I know what you mean about fitting, especially for plus sized women. There are more curves, humps and bumps. I struggle with pants fitting. I am in the process of using (semi-fitting) rtw pants as my sloper and going from there. Finding a 'good' fit is my goal.

skybird said...


Thanks for posting this useful content, Good to know about new things here, Let me share this, . Digital Marketing interview questions